FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 1st 2018
Sam McCann Visiting Southern Illinois to discuss the future of Tamms Correctional Center
TAMMS, IL – This Saturday, November 3rd, Conservative Party Gubernatorial candidate, Senator Sam McCann will be traveling to Tamms Correctional Center, the only Super Max facility in Illinois, closed under the Quinn Administration in 2013.
- WHAT: Press Availability w/ Senator Sam McCann - Conservative Gubernatorial Candidate for Governor
- WHERE: (On public property adjacent to): Tamms Correctional Center 8500 Supermax Road Tamms IL 62998
- WHEN: Saturday 11/3/18 12-1pm
Tamms Correctional Center should have never been closed.
Senator McCann fought Pat Quinn’s short-sighted decision to close Tamms and has always stood with correctional officers and staff. Their safety should always be paramount.
Rauner promised to hire more COs to bring the staffing level up to a point that would increase safety and decrease overtime, but has failed to do so. He has also failed to re-open Tamms. This decision has left corrections staff to fill the gaps in a totally unprotected manner.
Tamms should be reopened for multiple reasons:
- Safety for staff
- Safety for inmate population
- As a deterrent for a prison population who knows that there are currently no negative repercussions to their actions.
- Taxpayers invested in Tamms and shortsighted politicians have failed to be good stewards of that investment
- Reopening Tamms will also help restore some of the hit that the Southern Illinois economy took when it was abruptly and irresponsibly closed.
Senator McCann issued the following statement:
“One of my first orders of business after taking the Governor’s Oath of Office will be to reopen Tamms Correctional Center. It is imperative that we restore order and safety for our hardworking correctional officers and staff, while restoring safety, discipline and accountability for inmates in facilities across the state.”
# # #